Pickup Trucks Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New VW

4 posters

Go down

New VW Empty New VW

Post by jpmc Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Here's a link to a write up on the new VW ute done by a nz autocar magazine.

The more I read about this ute the better it's looking.
*******LINKY*******

Cool
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

: : New VW Untitled

Back to top Go down

New VW Empty Re: New VW

Post by Rislar Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 am

Very good Jono, i really like it and will prob end up with one in the fleet grin
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyb Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 am

thats nice i would say its expensive?
dannyb

Back to top Go down

Post by SparkyDave Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:28 am

dannyb wrote:thats nice i would say its expensive?

They keep quoting prices in line with a Hilux.

In reality this is the UK, so basing my assessment on every other VW it will end up being massively overpriced.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to afford one when I sell the Ranger on in a years time though.
SparkyDave
SparkyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I see in Saturday's paper that they have finally released a automatic verison.

It's an 8 speed with an uprated motor of 132Kw and 420Nm, they have also changed the auto to fulltime 4wd.

Here is the full article if you have time to read.

It speaks volumes about the component-sharing state of the world's motor industry that Volkswagen can take an eight- speed auto from the Audi A8 luxury sedan and put it into a ute.

That's just what the German company has done with its Argentine-built Amarok.

Up until now, the big ute has been available only with a six- speed manual transmission, but now Volkswagen New Zealand

VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK DOUBLE- CAB AUTOMATIC

POWER PLANT: Four-cylinder 2.0-litre common-rail fuel injected twin turbo diesel engine, 132 kW at 4000 rpm, 420 Nm at 1750 rpm.

RUNNING GEAR: 4Motion permanent all-wheel drive. Eight- speed ZF automatic transmission. Suspension features heavy duty leaf springs on a ladder frame chassis.

HOW BIG: Length 5254mm, width 2228mm, height 1834mm, wheelbase 3095mm.

HOW MUCH: $64,990

WHAT'S GOOD: Lovely relaxed and highly specified drive.

WHAT'S NOT: Road oriented rather than agricultural - if that can be considered an issue these days. Price is high.

OUR VERDICT: This Amarok will have special application in the urban areas because of its ease of use.

has introduced a 4WD double-cab twin- turbo-charged diesel model with the eight-speed auto.
It's not cheap at $64,990, with all the frills of its Highline level of specification, but it immediately takes its place as one of the most refined utes you will find.

At the same time, the company has added a single-cab version of the Amarok in an effort to get into the classic 'workhorse' segment of the ute market. It's called a Super Single Cab because there's a small cargo space behind the two seats.

Addition of these two models should result in Amarok annual sales moving through the 1000 unit mark, said Volkswagen NZ's general manager of commercial vehicles Grant Doull at a media conference in Auckland last week.

"The initial launch of the Amarok double-cab in New Zealand in early 2011 has been a success for our brand," he said.

"And as we continue to see the cross-over of typical SUV-type buyers opting to have a dual-use ute like Amarok as their vehicle of choice, we see some terrific potential for the new eight-speed automatic model."

It's certainly one of the most relaxed utes I've yet driven.

Powered by a twin-turbo 2.0-litre diesel that is the most powerful of the Amarok range with 132 kilowatts of power and 420 newton metres of torque, it uses all those gears available in the ZF auto pinched from the A8 to offer an exceedingly quiet and smooth driving experience at all speeds.

First gear is configured for pulling away in off-road use or for towing, while the eighth gear is intended as a fuel-saving overdrive gear that operates at reduced engine speed. This means that all the hard work is done up to seventh gear - and the transmission then pops into eighth for lazy, long-legged motoring.

At 100kmh down the motorway in eighth, it feels as if the engine is barely ticking over, and a high level of interior specification and exceptional sound deadening add to the relaxed experience. I really did feel as if I could drive from Auckland to Invercargill in comfort.

And that was despite the fact that the Amarok's suspension system includes leaf springs at the rear, which can often mean a lumpy sort of ride. But this ute is so good, even when empty, you'd think it has independent rear suspension.

It does all right off the road, too; as was proved during a couple of hours spent on a very muddy farm near the Hunuas.

Naturally, being an automatic there are no reduction gears, but that has saved weight. And anyway, the combination of the low first gear, permanent 4WD and various electronic aids including a lockable Torsen diff and hill-hold meant the Amarok cheerfully took on some quite heavy work without getting stuck - most of the time.

It certainly has sufficient power, which is saying something for a 2.0-litre engine.

The Amarok is like many other Volkswagen vehicles in that instead of being powered by larger engines, it has gone the smaller cubic capacity way but uses technology such as twin turbo- charging and common-rail fuel injection to extract optimum performance. In this case, the maximum power is 132 kW at 4000 rpm, while the top torque is 420 Nm at 1750 rpm.

This is higher than the 120 kW and 400 Nm developed by the engine under the bonnets of the manual versions of the Amarok - the turbo boost is higher and there have been other improvements - and word is that those engines will soon change, too.

Apart from the fact that it has two pedals inside rather than three, there's no interior difference between the auto and the manual.

It's at the Highline level of specification, which means that the exterior features chrome accents and a rear bumper, and 17-inch alloys with flared wheel arches. On the inside, there's a lovely leather-covered steering wheel with multi-function controls, and it has full Bluetooth connectivity.

A high level of safety equipment is also carried down from the current Amarok lineup. The new variant has stability control, and front and head/thorax airbags.

The ute is rated to tow three tonnes if the trailer is braked, and the rear tray is 1555mm long and capable of carrying up to 2.52 cubic metres of cargo.

Meanwhile, the new single-cab Amarok boasts a massive rear tray. The same length and with the same wheelbase as the double-cab versions, this model features a load bed that is 2205mm long, which means it can accommodate two standard sized pallets crosswise, one behind the other, and still have another 60cm of bed length. That's a lot of room.

It's come on to the market as a 2WD-model powered by a 90 kW/ 340 Nm turbo diesel, or as a 4WD version with the 120 kW/400 Nm engine. Prices for this ute are $41,990 for the 2WD model and $49,990 for the 4WD version.

And another if you even more time.

Volkswagen's Amarok will pick up an eight-speed automatic transmission this month along with more power from its 2-litre twin-turbo diesel, and a rumoured price hike of around $4000 over the manual model.

The Amarok will be the first 4WD commercial in New Zealand to offer an optional eight-speed transmission. It will be available only with the revised 2-litre unit, which delivers 132kW of power and 420Nm of torque, up 12kW and 20Nm on the existing twin-turbo under the bonnet of the six-speed manual. A single-turbo 90kW/340Nm version of the engine is also available in entry-level models.

Also arriving from the Amarok plant in Argentina is the first single cab models: a cab/chassis/tray with 4WD and a wellside with 2WD.

The eight-speed automatics come with a new 4WD system. The 4WD in the present manual Amarok is selectable - the truck is often driven in 2WD until 4WD is needed.

But the eight-speed auto comes with full-time 4WD with Torsen centre differential, a similar set-up to the German carmaker's flagship SUV the Touareg.

This is the main reason the 4WD automatic is expected to cost about $4000 more than the 4WD manual equivalent.

At the moment the Amarok range is priced between $41,000 and $65,000.

Volkswagen NZ general manager Tom Ruddenklau wouldn't confirm pricing for the automatic. "We will announce the price when we launch it" he said.

He expects the automatic to dominate Amarok sales. "Perhaps two or three to one, because of its refinement and how well the eight-speeder drives," he said.

"It's so good we might find owners of SUVs getting into it. We expect it to appeal to first-time ute buyers as well."

The automatic carries the same 3000kg braked towing capacity as the rest of the Amarok range and comes without a low-range transfer case. VW claims it doesn't need one - the eight-speeder's short first gear handles off-roading and towing and the tall top ratio aids cruising at a claimed 8.3 litres/100km, or 34mpg.

The appearance of the automatic and the single-cabs will boost VW's share of the NZ commercial segment. It sold around 500 manual-only double-cab variants last year and is aiming for a sales mix of between 700 and 800 models this year.

The single-cab's 2205mm tray length (650mm longer than the dual-cab) provides six lashing points and 3.57 square metres of load space, up from the dual-cab's 2.52 square metres.

The single-cab Amarok's tray is shorter than that of the Ford Ranger (2317mm) and Mitsubishi Triton (2220mm), but made up for by a 1222mm load width, shared with the dual-cab, which is 83mm wider than the Ranger's.

The Amarok was the first workhorse commercial to receive a five-star crash safety rating, which will also apply to the new single-cab with its standard side airbags.

Electronic stability control, brake assist, electronic differential lock, trailer sway control, traction control and ABS brakes calibrated for off-road use are also standard on all variants.

Base Amaroks ride on 16-inch steel wheels, have remote central locking, load area lighting and an unpainted textured black plastic finish for the bumpers, doorhandles and exterior mirrors (which are heated, electrically adjustable and incorporate the radio antennae).

Interior features include automatic air-conditioning, a two-speaker MP3-compatible CD sound system, electric windows, plastic-coated hose-down floor coverings, height-adjustable driver and passenger seats, centre armrest with storage bin and a folding rear bench on dual-cabs.

Bluetooth is standard on all double cabs but not singles. Other equipment includes cruise and a multi-function steering wheel in addition to the underbody protection and mechanical rear differential lock.

Highline models get wheelarch flares to go with the 17-inch alloys, a optional stainless-steel sports bar, optional side steps, chrome rear bumper, rear privacy glass and chrome highlights on the front bumper and exterior mirrors.
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 am

I really like these, great stuff Jono Very Happy
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 am

Sorry but I don't share your enthusiasm. Get Me Coat

At first I liked them but the more I see them the less I like them.
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Laughing
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder