Pickup Trucks Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faq for the Hilux

3 posters

Go down

Faq for the Hilux Empty Faq for the Hilux

Post by Rislar Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 am

TOYOTA HILUX

Once called 'The Workhorse of Africa’ the Hilux 4x4 first made its appearance in 1979, 10 years after the first 4x2 Hilux was introduced. This vehicle shared many body components with the one-ton Stout. In 1984 the body was redesigned and with it South Africa's first doublecab configuration met with immediate success. The country's 4x4 leisure market got what it wanted, a loadable workhorse that could carry passengers too.

In 1989 the Hilux became the first diesel 4x4 pick-up on the market and in 1991 the well known Raider models were introduced. In 1998 the Hilux changed what I believe to be fundamental to its success in Africa – the suspension layout. The old model Hilux has simple and very robust leaf spring axle mountings. The solid axles and massive ground clearance are what make it such a formidable off-roader. If you are considering purchasing a vehicle in this class and expect it to work hard in difficult conditions then you cannot do better than the old Hilux. Renowned for reliability, it was built with a 2.2 or 2.4-litre 4-cylinder petrol and a 2.4-litre diesel engines.

The general criticism was that the Hilux's suspension has always been too harsh but could be put down to the fact that the vehicle was designed to carry a load under adverse conditions. In the case of the old Hilux the suspension was not compromised to a great extent and the occupants paid for it by having to endure a back-breaking ride in the rough. Although the Hilux is tough it does not like to be overloaded and can be broken if this is done. In pre-1985 versions the battery support bracket is prone to failure and, although this was improved with later models, it often fails in vehicles used in off-road conditions. A most worthwhile modification to the old Hilux to improve the ride and its off-road performance is Old Man Emu suspension.

The first major mechanical and styling change came with the launch of an all new Hilux in 1998. Its introduction brought fear and dread to die-hard Hilux lovers because real off-roaders know that nothing compares to solid axles when you're off-road. It is true that solid axles offer many advantages off-road and a few disadvantages on-road but the new Hilux is clear proof that only in the most difficult conditions is a well set up independent front suspension a disadvantage worth noting.

The current Hilux should be compared with vehicles such as the Nissan Hardbody, Isuzu KB and Colt pickups and not be compared with its predecessor. This is because the old Hilux could be forgiven for its hard ride, poor brakes and uncomfortable seating, idiosyncrasies that drivers learned to live with while doting on the vehicle's brilliance off-road.

There is no doubt that the Hilux's popularity has not wained one bit and it remains one of the best in its class. The engine line-up improves the Hilux's appeal, especially the 2,7-litre fuel injected petrol that has good acceleration and is easy to drive off-road. I drove it on dunes and it displayed ample power and torque. The 3-litre diesel is not unlike the old model 2400 petrol in these conditions and often needed several attempts at each obstacle. As a cruising vehicle the 3-litre diesel is underpowered. The KZTE turbo-diesel is without doubt the best engine for the Hilux, although a little pricey but must rate as the best all-round 4x4 pick-up in its class, only the Colt 2,8 coming close.
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

: : Faq for the Hilux Untitled

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Faq for the Hilux Empty Re: Faq for the Hilux

Post by Hicube Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am

Great review there mate you are the man
Hicube
Hicube
THE HULK / YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN I MODERATE
THE HULK / YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN I MODERATE

: : Thats me !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40 am

Well it had to be done, IMO if the Lux can offer the same trim as the Nav, it will be the Market leader again Very Happy
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

: : Faq for the Hilux Untitled

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I Agree
Dave C
Dave C