Pickup Trucks Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honda Ridgeline

2 posters

Go down

Honda Ridgeline Empty Honda Ridgeline

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 am

Honda Ridgeline Honda_10

First Glance at the 2010 Honda Ridgeline
Ridgeline first hit the US market as a 2006 model, and returns basically unchanged for the 2010 model year. Ridgeline is different from just about every other new pickup truck for sale right now, because it is car-based; meaning, it isn't built in the traditional body-on-frame style. Instead, Ridgeline is a unibody vehicle. Under most circumstances, body-on-frame vehicles are considered more "heavy duty" than unibodies. A robust frame provides the underpinnings for a stout structure. The tradeoff is a rougher ride, and less elegant construction. Take a look at the gap where the cab and box meet on a traditional pickup, and it's never a pretty sight.
Ridgeline is different. There's no gap between the cab and the bed. Seams and gaps all over the body are tight, and car-like -- just like you'll find on a Honda sedan. The vehicle squats over its wheels, but still has a generous 8.2" of minimum ground clearance. It looks bigger in person than it does in photos, but maybe that's just the psychological effect. I may have expected to see a smaller truck because of the Honda name.

Because of the four-door cabin and the short (60") bed length, Ridgeline's proportions in profile take some getting used to. Over the course of my week with the truck, I never found myself caught up in its beauty -- but I didn't have to look away in horror, either. The more I drove the Ridgeline, the better it started to look.

In the Ridgeline's Driver's Seat
Honda designers know how to run with a theme, and on Ridgeline the theme is horizontal. The dash is composed of several horizontal rectangles, with the lion's share going to the driver's side. My test vehicle was a top-of-the-line RTL NAV model, which came with an in-dash navigation system with Bluetooth, voice recognition and a rearview camera. The passenger's side features three rectangular bins above a big glove compartment, crowned by two horizontal rectangular air vents, all part of the theme.
Beefy door pulls protect the door handles, and really give driver and passenger a handhold when the road turns rough. A multi-functional center console provides a variety of storage and organizational options.

The second row brims with utility as well. A 60/40 split bench seat easily and conveniently folds up flush with the bed wall and locks into place, leaving a roomy, flat load floor behind the first row. My dogs appreciated this space in particular, as they could lie comfortably on the floor without worry of sliding off of the seat at a stop.

The pickup bed is smartly designed. Though it is only 60" long with the tailgate closed, open the gate and you've got a flat, supported surface that's 49.5" wide between the wheel wells, and 79" long -- plenty big enough for a sheet of 4' x 8' plywood. Eight heavy-duty tie down cleats are standard. And the great bonus is a lockable, watertight 8.5 cubic foot trunk that hides beneath the load floor. The trunk is big enough for a couple of rolling suitcases, and really extends the usability of the Ridgeline.

On the Road in the Ridgeline Pickup Truck
As you'd expect from a car-based truck, the Ridgeline rides smoothly and comfortably. With its 3.5 liter V6 powerplant pushing out 250 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque, the 3,471 lb Ridgeline feels like it has power to spare when unladen. I suspect that loading the truck up to its 1,546 lb payload, or towing close to its 5,000 lb capacity would tax the engine somewhat, but not too badly.
Ridgeline comes standard with a 5-speed automatic transmission and a heavy-duty transmission cooler, as well as 4-wheel drive and a locking rear differential. The 4-wheel drive system, which Honda calls "VTM-4" (Variable Torque Management 4-Wheel Drive System), can send up to 70% of the power to the rear wheels when the rear diff is locked, which can be pretty handy in the mud and on slippery surfaces.

Journey's End
If you need a heavy-duty work truck, you should probably look past the Ridgeline. But if you are looking for a compromise between the convenience and utility of an open pickup bed and the comfort of a car, Ridgeline might fit the bill.
If you like the part truck/part SUV layout, there are a few other choices on the market. The Chevrolet Avalanche is a true body-on-frame example, and one that I really like. There's also a luxury variant, the Cadillac Escalade EXT, which is sort of silly, to be honest. Ford's Explorer SportTrac straddles the line between SUV and truck. Toyota's Tacoma Double Cab also flirts with the short bed/full cabin formula. But since GM cancelled the planned revival of the El Camino (c'mon, GM!) and Subaru deep-sixed the Baja, nobody other than Honda is building a car-based pickup truck.
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

: : Honda Ridgeline Untitled

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Honda Ridgeline Empty Re: Honda Ridgeline

Post by Hicube Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 am

That is actually not a bad lookin truck..... Cool
Hicube
Hicube
THE HULK / YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN I MODERATE

: : Thats me !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:47 am

It is rather nice, im quite shocked they dont sell it here scratch prob cause they only stick a petrol engine in it, but even so Who Knows
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 am

I think it would be a good seller over here but like you say, they would have to offer a diesel option... Rolling Eyes
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 am

Ha ha, ive just noticed your avatar again scratch

Like me and the changes here grin
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:56 am

Ha Ha .... just trying to keep you on your toes Razz
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 am

And funny enough, thats the picture i have of you in my head Shocked ROFL
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:12 am

cheeky sod Slap .......... ROFL ROFL
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 am

Ha ha, did i upset you? he's a super hero isn't he scratch

See how i got out of that lol!
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:18 am

I was just offended that you may have thought that i have a monitor as old skool as his one........... The bloke typing is me ROFL ROFL
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:20 am

ROFL

thumbsup

lol!

I near pissed myself then die laughin