Pickup Trucks Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holden Ute

5 posters

Go down

Holden Ute Empty Holden Ute

Post by Hicube Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Holden Ute Holden10

There's a fair amount of difference in the asking price of the SV6 and SS - $4,000 more for the V8 model - but they look very similar. Same 18-inch wheels, same body kit, same smooth silhouette. These brutes are separated only by their engines, gearboxes, and exhaust pipes at the rear.Holden's SS Ute has a whopping 6.0-litres of displacement, drinks spirits on the rocks, and likes to yell really loudly at inopportune moments.

The other character, the SV6 Ute, is a far more sophisticated and smooth character. He has table manners and doesn't curse as much. Sure, he's not as tough and didn't kick as many goals as his mate, but he can read and write.

The brain versus the brawn, 6-cylinders versus eight, toasted sandwiches versus, um, meat pies or something. However you care to symbolise it, choosing between the 6- and 8-cylinder ute will not be an instantaneous decision for some buyers. It's one of those head versus heart, need versus desire struggles

First things first, and the new Holden Ute drives like a car. It's a very relaxed vehicle to drive for the most part and you don't feel too many bumps coming into the cabin. It's pretty much like driving a Commodore sedan, only with a truncated view out the back as the tray obstructs rearward vision.
The suspension setup is very similar to the Commodore sedan - we're talking a smooth, quiet ride for the most part and impressive handling to match.The front suspension is identical to the VE Commodore sedan, while the rear end features a more rigid setup than the sedan for load bearing. On the road, both the V6-powered SV6 and V8-powered SS Ute are smooth operators with a level of refinement that would impress HQ Ute owners.

This is easily the most sophisticated ute ever made in Australia, but that's not to say it doesn't still have a few rough edges.In and around town, and cruising through suburbs the SS drank more petrol, but overall I thought it was a better vehicle primarily because you don't have to change gears as much. The V6 is not slow but you sometimes have to make a couple of gear changes to overtake a slow truck in traffic, whereas the V8 has copious power reserves and can ride a wave of torque in any gear.

Both utes feature the same running gear: 18-inch alloy rims shod with 245/45 R18 tyres. They provide good grip in most situations, but the V8-powered SS ute could do with wider rear tyres as it sometimes breaks traction at the rear when you're really start moving (more on that soon).

The SV6 has a touch more precision in the handling department and when put through its paces on some winding coastal roads it exhibited better initial turn-in than the SS, which is most likely due to the fact that there's less weight over the front axle.Using its V6 to the tune of 195kW, the rear-wheel drive SV6 is a well-balanced sports car that can be highly rewarding when driven with a bit of gusto.In general however, the points go the way of the SS because it's so effortlessly powerful. It's got a muscle car feel and charges out of corners with the kind of force that pushes you into your seat very firmly.

The engines are the single biggest differentiating factor between the two vehicles and, though the V8 is more powerful and more entertaining to manipulate, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better engine.

If you plan on lugging a heavy load or towing an oversized trailer, then the V8 would be the pick (it can tow a braked trailer weighing up to 3825kg). It also affords the Holden VE SS Ute a more sporting flavour, but the SV6 is still a very rewarding vehicle to drive with plenty of acceleration.

In terms of refinement however, the 3.6-litre V6 engine (which is also built in Australia - brownie points there) wins hands down. It's smoother, quieter, more refined and only deviates from its creamy smooth characteristics when the engine revs past 6500rpm. It also revs higher and can be more involving in some situations as you really have to squeeze every last drop from the engine, whereas you rarely have to rev out the beefy LS2 6.0-litre mill.

The fact of the matter is that the Alloytec V6 is a more advanced engine in every respect. It's got 4-valves per cylinder: the V8 has two. It's got quad overhead chain-driven camshafts: the V8 has archaic gear driven over head valves.

The only thing the V8 has going for it is it's sheer size. Compare 3.6-litres worth of high-tech V6 auto gadgetry to 6.0-litres of stone-age V8 rust and the bigger engine will win every time.
Hicube
Hicube
THE HULK / YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN I MODERATE

: : Thats me !!

Back to top Go down

Holden Ute Empty Re: Holden Ute

Post by jpmc Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 pm

A little more info for you.

The 6 cylinder option comes with power
210kw (281hp) @ 6400rpm and 350Nm @ 2900

The 8 cylinder option comes with power ranging from
270kw (362) @ 5700 and 530Nm @ 4400
upto the top model coming in with
317kw (425) @ 6000 and 550Nm @ 4600

These of course can be tweaked to give even more power if required
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

: : Holden Ute Untitled

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 pm

And this would be the one for me Shake Shout

Holden Ute 20780905
Holden Ute 20780906
Holden Ute 20780907
Holden Ute 20780908
Holden Ute 20780909
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 pm

You really have some great motors down there, I could ever understand why they were never released over here scratch
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by navara1 Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 pm

There is a guy with a yellow one down the road from me,It flys boys and the rear bed is a fair old size.He has a bit of wait in the back to give it more power to the road. Holden Ute 246505
navara1
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 am

I wonder what load you can get in the back of the babies or does it say and i sight read over it scratch
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

http://www.eclipse-bowling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 am

Hi .......... Holden Ute 764410 for posting hicube.......i think the front looks a bit like a peugeot......in a funny way.....
Dave C
Dave C
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicube Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:41 am

Dave C wrote:i think the front looks a bit like a peugeot......in a funny way.....

............From the hubble telescope on a cloudy night ?? ROFL ROFL
Hicube
Hicube

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 am

ROFL Cool
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jpmc Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:49 am

Rislar wrote:I wonder what load you can get in the back of the babies or does it say and i sight read over it scratch

In standard form they are surposed to carry about 800kg (they used to make a 1 ton model but not anymore to my knowledge) and can only tow 1600kg but it's all because they are set up with sports handling.

I have a customer that has an older model double cab 4x4 one with a supercharger producing just over 500hp. Boy does it go and best of all it's cheaper to run than his son's Subaru Legacy (Liberty in some markets) GT.

Cool
jpmc
jpmc
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Rislar Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am

Really 800kg's that quite good really!!

Nice power, i've done a few Supercharger mods in my day, mainly for Honda S2000 though Very Happy
Rislar
Rislar
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down